1. I had my 16 week appointment on Wednesday and the OB (not my usual OB) took one look at my c-section scar and told me that he thought I should ask for staples instead of stitches next time. Apparently staples have fewer issues with scarring and raised/red scar tissue, which is what I have and it STILL itches from time to time. But just the thought of hearing “staples” in my abdomen made me cringe.
2. I’ve gained about 8lbs total so far. Five since my last appointment. I’m nervous about gaining too much weight, for health/baby/recovery reasons, and less for vanity reasons. I’ll need to start restricting my carbs soon and I’m not looking forward to it. I have no willpower when it comes to carbs/sugar. The holidays are going to be pure torture.
3. Ok, last pregnancy related thing. My hair. It’s a mess and I’m blaming the hormones. The roots seem greasy/matted and the ends seem dry. I use cheap, store bought shampoo/conditioner and I’m thinking it’s time to invest in some better products. Even my grandma, who isn’t the most observant person in the world, commented the other day, “Oh this pregnancy is ruining your hair isn’t it? It looks so frizzy.” So yeah, I need to make a change. Does anyone have a favorite brand to recommend? If so, please tell me what it is and where I can buy it. Like tonight.
4. I haven’t mentioned it on the blog yet, but last week my great-grandma passed away. Although sad, she was 96 with severe Alzheimer’s, spending her days in a nursing home these last couple of years. It was time. She was my grandpa’s mother, and in a way, I’m glad he passed before she did. He adored his mother and it would’ve killed him to have to bury her. Likewise, he was her firstborn, so I’m glad she never had to know that he got sick and passed away last year. Sometimes, when I look at D, I think of my great-grandma and my grandpa. Knowing he was her firstborn son, just like D is mine. How much she must’ve loved him. She had five kids in all, but you could always tell that my grandpa was very special to her. And when she couldn’t remember anyone else, people said she would still talk about “DeeDee” (his nickname). I get a little choked up thinking about it, but at least they’re back together now.
5. Cold and flu season has started and I’m turning into a bit of a germaphobe. The only thing worse than being sick, is being sick while pregnant. I remember coming down with a terrible sinus infection around this time two years ago when I was pregnant with D and oh man, how miserable I was for more than 2 weeks. I’ll do anything to avoid that again.
Have a lovely weekend!