Today was my 20 week prenatal appointment and I am SO VERY THANKFUL that everything is checking out A-OK with baby boy #2.
- I’m up about 10 or 11 lbs from my 8 week appointment so my OB says my weight gain is “perfect”.
- Baby is measuring about 13oz right now, or 59%, so growth is right where it should be.
- Baby’s heart rate was 152 bpm.
- Normal blood pressure. (120/70 I think?)
- Baby was positioned head down, feet up, and facing up so the u/s tech couldn’t get all the pics she needed. From the shots she did get, everything looked great. My OB ran through the list of things she looks for and while it’s terrifying to think that so many things could go wrong, hearing her rule them out one by one was so reassuring. I’ll need to get another u/s when I come back for my glucose test in 6 weeks to double check his spine and his feet. They also couldn’t get a good shot of his “goods” so I’m glad we already found out the gender because I would’ve been sorely disappointed to not find out today.
- Speaking of my glucose test, some of you may remember that I failed my first one during my first pregnancy and ended up as “borderline gestational diabetic” after the 3 hour test. I asked my OB if should I fail the first test this time, I could just skip the 3 hour test and be deemed “gestational diabetic” instead. She laughed but said yes. It would be fantastic if I didn’t fail my one hour, but I’m a realist and I’ve already made up my mind that I’m going to fail it. And I DO NOT want to go through the torture that was the 3 hour test ever again. Time to start researching low-carb meal options.
- While we didn’t schedule my c-section just yet (she likes to wait until after 25 weeks) I’m fairly certain I know exactly what date it will be, based on my OB’s schedule. Now I just have to pray that baby boy cooperates and doesn’t decide to make an early debut.
- I think that’s about it. So now that most of the health/development concerns are out of the way, I can finally relax and let my mind be consumed with frivolous things like maternity clothes and nursery ideas. And baby names. We should probably figure that out at some point.
Side note: if anyone has a recommendation on the most awesome nursery chair, please let me know. We currently have a glider in D’s room but I hate it. Every time I get up, it slides back on our wood floors and ends up hitting the wall. So my wall has tons of scuff marks on top of the already annoying loud noise it makes whenever anyone gets out of it. I’m looking for something that is a) comfortable b) quiet c) affordable and d) easy to get out of since I’ll be recovering from major abdominal surgery those first 6 weeks. Please and thanks!